Friday, June 13, 2008

It's been awhile

It's been almost a year since I've posted on here for one reason or another. Lack of motivation is the leading cause, but I think it's time to bring Fish Sticks back.

Since I've last posted, many things have changed in my life. I graduated from college and am now working in northeast Indiana where the people here think hockey is the IHL's Fort Wayne Komets. Not to knock the Komets or anything - they are the reigning IHL Champs - but it's not my kind of hockey. I attended a game this season and saw more whiffed on shots, missed passes and cheap shots than I have in a mini-mite game. I spent most of the game sitting in the upper bowl at the Fort Wayne Memorial Coliseum laughing. College teams would put on a clinic against the IHL. Not to knock what they call "hockey" in Fort Wayne, but I'll stick with my guys.

Speaking of my guys, they just wrapped up their regular season a week and a half ago as Stanley Cup Champions. It was a magical season to say the least and I cherish the memories from it. I got a chance to attend the victory parade (I'll post pictures soon) to further take in the moment of my favorite sports team ever. It's been estimated that there was about 1.5 million people downtown for the parade. That's 300,000 more than there were in 2002. Hockey matters in Michigan. That fact can also put to rest why there were some empty seats at Joe Louis Arena this season. The economy sucks. People still care. Detroit is Hockeytown.

Now, we're currently in my second favorite season of the year - hockey's off season! Check back for more postings in the future.

No comments: